A desire for development at Terre Marine :
Achieve qualifying acoustic follow ups on board during our campaigns. Complete the surface search by passive acoustic listening.
Coupled with visual observations, using a system of high performance hydrophones, acoustic samples should, after automatic recognition software analysis, obtain reliable data (attribution of a sound signal to an animal source, anthropogenic …)
Monitoring of cetaceans by passive acoustics has the advantage of being conducted under all conditions of visibility, day and night whatever the height of waves, which can’t be done with only visual observation.
The Mediterranean is currently considered as a unique biogeographic entity, relatively rich in biomass with great economic challenges. But some faunal behaviours are still ignored, especially superior predators: size and structure of their population? Use of the area? Importance of the area in the Mediterranean? Only passing by or staying on the spot ?
The Mediterranean is also a heavily used area, exploited by humans. Many activities have been developed (fishing, maritime traffic, offshore wind turbines, boating …) impacting for superior vertebrates (collision, disturbance, accidental capture, habitat deterioration, …) generating specific preservation issues in this sector.
This is why Terre Marine, in partnership with bioacousticiens and computer scientists, wishes to develop on the Sea Explorer, a more qualifying device than the one we actually have. Different options are on study (T.D.O.A. principle, towed acquisition chain …) and we hope to quickly:
– answer different types of studies in addition to the use of submerged autonomous recording tools.
– Perform preliminary evaluations before work.
– Perform ecological monitoring. Demographics and abundance trackings.
– Increase the size of available data on knowledge and movement of currently under sampled species.
– Discover the acoustic richness, not yet discovered.
– Identify the populations. Carry out observation programmes and conservation expertise.
– Better understanding of communication in cetaceans.
– Assist the decision-making of government authorities to advance legislation and recommendations in this area.